Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Loss of a Legend


When I was pregnant in 2000, my husband and I were sent to have an amniocentesis because I was over 40. In our excitment, and with the knowledge of how my pregnancies typically ran, we were fairly certain I was carrying a girl - at last.

As we were having lunch before my appointment, Kevin said to me, "I know we feel like we're having a girl, and I know you want a little Jeanne Elizabeth really badly, but we really need to think about a boy name just in case."

As much as I hated to admit it, we should entertain the idea of boy names so we began our conversation. Kevin was fairly adamant about the middle name being Anthony after his brother who died just before our wedding. That was okay with me despite the fact I have never ever liked the name Anthony. I like Tony, just not Anthony... but it was a middle name so, okay.

I liked Shannon (I really like unusual names). He didn't. I liked several others he poo-pooed too. Then he says, "What about Dalton?"

I said it outloud, "Dalton Anthony Ballard... yeah... I like that!"

Then he said, "Well, it is one of your favorite movie characters and since Patrick Swayze is your favorite actor, it just kind of fits."

As you might know, Dalton was the last name of the lead character in "Road House" which is an awesome, very amazing, all that and then some kick booty movie in my book. Besides, you get to see Swayze Booty and he's just hot. And add in the mix another favorite of mine, delicious Mr. Sam Elliott and the electricity between Swayze and Kelly Lynch and holy cow, it still gives me goosebumps.

Not to mention the tears I cried repeatedly in "Ghost", the awesome feeling you get when the infamous line, "Nobody puts Baby in the corner." is uttered... Patrick Swayze was just every girls dream come true. The perfect summer romance. The perfect husband, (both on screen and off from what they say) and MAN to have had a chance to dance with this guy!! WOOOOHEEEEE I think I would have died and gone to heaven right then and there.

Today we say good bye to this amazing man. The world has lost a legend and I will mourn him today as though he were a member of my family. Tonight we will watch Road House and have a toast to him. We will say a prayer for his family for strength and courage and thank them for sharing this man and his amazing talent with the world. They were most generous and for that I am so grateful.

Good bye Patrick Swayze. When you see my momma up there, if you get a chance, give her a little spin on the Ethereal Dance Floor... She'll LOVE it!

Peace and blessings,
Lissa

2 comments:

Kathy Carr said...

I was very sad to hear this news. And even more than he had to battle with cancer. RIP Patrick!!

Jodi said...

I wqas sad to hear that he was gone. I really love Road house and Dirty Dancing, plus some other movies he was in.

RIP Patrick and god bless his family in this time!