Tuesday, April 29, 2014

The Lazarus Experiment - Day 4

Devo 4
Here at TLE, we strive to do things Laz would have done as a direct response to Jesus and his shouting us out of the tomb. Five words characterize our actions for forty days, Easter to Ascension Day. The actions we take are because of Jesus, for Jesus, with Jesus, and in Jesus. The five words that help frame our actions are:
Intentionality.
Spontaneity.
Vulnerability.
Gratitude.
Joy.
Let's take these up in order the next five days.
Intentionality is not just making plans. Not just dreaming about doing something. Not just intending. Intentionality is doing, acting, making plans happen.
Planning is definitely a part of it. Dreaming and scheming and plotting and conspiring, too. But if that's all you ever do, it's not being intentional. It's just being lazy.
If I was Lazarus - (this is, after all, the game we're playing) - I know one of the things I would stop doing is planning on doing something without doing something to do something. See what I'm doing there?
I have way too many roads slathered with good intentions. If I died and then four days later got called out, I know beyond any doubt that after kissing Jesus and kissing my wife, I would take action on all the dreams and ideas and goals and determinations and really good thoughts I'd had before I kicked the bucket.
I'll come clean here: I go to bed every night with a list of things I'd intended to do. While some of them may be morally "iffy" (eat some donuts), others are really noble and good (call my cancer-fighting friend, read my Bible, write my novel, take a walk, paint the house, tell my neighbor about Jesus, yada, yada, yada).
And - get this - I pat myself on my back and commend myself for my Godly list of good intentions. It's really quite stupid. Is it really the thought that counts? No, it is not.
Getting my head into Lazarus', I'm convinced he would have no more of those feeble, empty, "well-intentioned" but poorly executed lists.
Intentional new-life living involves plans made and carried out.
How?
Try this: one plan, one goal, no list.
For The Lazarus Experiment, here's a suggestion: every night before going to bed, pray for one clear idea or plan for the next day. If God gives it to you right then, write it down and don't keep thinking about it. If he doesn't spring one into your heart at that time, sleep on it, with a pen and a pad near your bed. You'll find that you wake up with an idea. Write it down, and then determine to do it. Then do it. Don't shrink from the idea - chances are it will be outrageous and crazy and way beyond your comfort zone. Do it anyway.
If you don't do it that day? Don't ask for another idea. Don't keep asking if you're not going to do it anyway. When you accomplish the plan, go to him for another one.
Some of us have already made a list of things we might do on The Experiment. That's OK. But there are no holy brownie points for the list. Pick one thing on that list and do it.
New life, intentionally. That's what we're after.
Suggested Scripture For Today: Matthew 25
Suggested Ideas:
1. Ask your spouse to give you an idea.
2. Write a note and send it to someone without a real reason.
3. Dance. (Pictures!)
4. Break a cultural rule in Jesus' name.
We have quite a group! You are all in my prayers. Don't feel like you have to comment on every post. Just respond as God directs.
This is getting exciting.
Ron


My day 4

Day 4 was well hmmm... I'm not sure what day 4 was. I seem to have a problem with lawn mowers. I bought a rider in 2011. It worked 3 times and pooped out. *small engine shop says the motor needs to be replaced... however, because I couldn't find my purchase information, I was beyond my warranty date when I discovered that so I have this rider lawnmower here that needs an engine and I can't get rid of it.
anyhow, the summer of 2012 a dear friend who was moving gave me her lawnmower. Blessing! I used it a few times, loaned it to my son and bam! - Broken. So I borrowed mowers all summer to get my grass done.
2013, bought a push mower and had my sons taking turns mowing the grass (bless them). In late November, bought a riding mower off a local group. Worked fine, (we had an unusually warm fall so I needed to mow the side yards) and set up for winter.
Got it out two weekends ago and it wouldn't start. Besties husband came over yesterday to help me start it and it started then suddenly stopped about 3 swipes into mowing. Um... okay. Gas was good, oil fine, air filter clean, battery okay - the starter seized up. So, my now 13 yo has mown my lawn with the push mower and it looks wonderful and he did work so hard (he's still a little guy - he weighs only 78 pounds soaking wet and my yard is anything but level) and I am SO proud of him. I made him anything he wanted for dinner. I have some nice things in the freezer and he had free reign.
Now, I'm kind of a picky mom. Dinner has to consist of a protein, at least one usually two veggies and a starch. nope.... last night dinner was a hamburger and a bowl of ramen. Seriously - all he wanted was ramen and I made the burger and slathered it up with about 30 pickles (he had a little burger with his pickles) and he at about half of it but all he really wanted was the ramen. Laz would have said, "Give him what he wants for a job well done!" I think so I did. I still think Laz would have thought about his health but I suppose one day won't hurt anything.

No comments: