Tuesday, April 29, 2014

2014 Lazarus Experiment - Day One

Each day I'll be posting a little devotional piece to help us focus on living like Lazarus. (Some of you may have read these before). Each will give a thought, a scripture to read, and some Lazarus suggestions. Feel free to read or not - it's just to assist us in these forty days. Here's the first one:
John 11:40
"Then Jesus said, 'Did I not tell you that if you believe, you will see the glory of God?' ”
It's all a matter of perspective.
I know you may not believe this, my being a pastor and all, but sometimes my wife and I have disagreements. When that happens, it is always - ALWAYS - an issue of perspective. We see things differently, from different angles. In order to resolve the situation, we have to see through one another's eyes. We have to merge our perspectives.
Perspective is the direction, condition, health, and quality of your vision.
How do you think Lazarus' vision changed once the bandages were unwrapped and his eyes adjusted to the light? How did he see differently? What did he change about his approach to life, his approach to people, his approach to Jesus? How did being brought back from death alter his perspective?
This is the question we will spend the next forty days answering. We will dig through all of our lives to discover how new life in Christ Jesus changes the way we look at things and people and God.
It's just this simple: Putting trust in Jesus means you have a brand new life - all things have become new. Death is finished. Life is offered abundantly. Don't you think that should leak into every part of us to bring light and vitality? Of course.
Pray today that God would open the eyes of your heart, starting right now, today - Resurrection Day - to see life with Lazarus-eyes.
And do something today - just one little thing - that dramatically, intentionally, reflects your new vision.
Suggested Scripture For Today: John 11 - the story of Lazarus' new life.
Suggested Ideas:
1. Go outside and sing an Easter hymn loud enough for the neighbors to hear.
2. Tell three people why you're smiling so much.
3. Read John 11 out loud to your spouse and/or kids.
4. Invite ten friends to join our group with you.
Welcome to The Lazarus Experiment! I'm praying your perspective will never be the same again!
Ron

My day 1 response

Day one was bittersweet. My older boys weren't able to come for church or Easter Dinner but we were fortunate to be accompanied. My bff (one of two) passed away on March 28th from a very heroic battle with lung cancer. Her husband, who is like my brother, came to church with us. It was a blessing to have him with us as he hasn't been to church in about 20 years or more (for a service - that doesn't include weddings or funerals). God was gracious enough to share some of heavens great inhabitants with me during the service and it was phenomenal to see my sweet bff standing with her mom, my parents and my husband. Her smile was positively radiant as were the smiles of all my loved ones but what was so extra special was the way she appeared to be looking at her dear husband standing with us. It was truly truly ethereal and I don't think I'll be able to get that vision out of my heart for a very very long time. We ended up spending the day together and I don't think it would have been as fine an Easter had we not spent it together.
Then my little grandson came to see Grammie after seeing his out of town relatives for a special Kraven Only Easter Egg Hunt. His very first! He was precious!
I am so very blessed!


No comments: