Friday, November 16, 2007

Good News and Bad News

Hi All! (As I greet you from behind my chair in hopes you don't throw something because I've abandoned you all so long...)

Well, let's see...

In the past few weeks, I've gotten a continuation of my Disability Hearing, I've gotten a referral to a Neurosurgeon, and I've seen the surgeon. I've visited my dad ALL ALONE! I spent two days in Richmond (one night) enjoying the company of that man who is more and more hilarious each time we spend adult time together.

So, let's see - that appointment. The surgeon said:

Well, you do have some back issues. First and foremost, if you had come here 10 years ago we would have done spinal fusion surgery right away. The problem is, we've found that we have created more trouble than we've helped. So, the good news is, you're not going to be operated on! YEAH!!!!!!!!!

He does think I have coccydemia (from a broken tailbone in 82) and that should be addressed with an orthopedist. He also says that of all the people he sees for my exact problem, he can only tell them all the same thing... you're going to have to ride this out with medication and epidurals if they work and if not, just keep going to your pain management doctor.

Okay, that's the bad news... continue on the meds that make me feel sick, lethargic, dizzy, drunk and all together out of sorts. Yuck............. But, that's tons better than being cut on.

I'm thrilled actually. I had resigned myself to it since my other neurosurgeon recommended it IMMEDIATELY, but I really didn't want to go through it. I'm just so glad I don't have to. The last thing I wanted was that kind of recovery time and those kinds of meds. Besides, the doctor said that of the people who had the surgery 10 years ago, they're all having to have more surgery now and it would just be making a bad situation worse. (Lord have mercy, don't make it worse please!)

So, Daddy took me out to celebrate with Janice and Richard Baldwin to the Peking around the corner from his house. It was awesome and we had a great dinner. We went home and while Daddy was watching his history channel, I checked my email. I promptly fell asleep at the computer... ugh.

When I went downstairs again, we were trying to talk and I kept nodding out. Daddy just laughed and sent me upstairs to bed. I literally fell into bed and didn't get up for several hours (potty time and back hurting) then back to sleep for another couple hours and potty break and change position. I woke up for the day about 8 (a luxury not often afforded me) and dressed, made the bed and got the make up on. That took an hour.... Can you imagine taking that much time just to do those three simple tasks???

Anyhow, we had a great time chatting over breakfast, then went into the den. I promptly fell asleep in Momma's chair. Daddy said despite my snoring I slept so peacefully he didn't dare wake me.

We went to lunch at a darling diner and had fantastic soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. We took a quick detour to Michael's to see about some Gum Arabic and then back to Daddy's. I was there long enough to potty, thank Daddy, hug him quickly and get back on the road.

I made good time on the road and look forward to seeing him again soon. I miss him dreadfully but the trip takes a lot out of me.

When I got home the kitchen was destroyed, a tornado had flown through the den and my desk was trashed. Needless to say I was pretty hacked. I slept for a bit (too pooped to pop!) and then checked email and a few messages then hit the stove to make a quick dinner (egg, bacon and cheese biscuits) and cub scouts. (Good thing the parents aren't required to participate... I surely wouldn't have gotten my attendance points...)

Then home, homework and bam... out like a light at bed time.

So that's what has been going on in the last few days. I'm thrilled it's done, thrilled with the doctor's advice and equally thrilled I'm home again.

Now it's time to scrap! I'm hoping this weekend affords me some creative time.

Peace and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Glsd that you don't have to have the surgery! But yuck on the meds. Glad that you had a gopod time visiting your dad.